AUSTIN Five Agricultural Waste Pesticide Collections are scheduled for April and May in central and southern Texas. These cleanup events are free to participants. Each cleanup will be from 8 a.m. to1 p.m.
The following items will be accepted:
- Empty, triple-rinsed plastic containers;
- Used motor oil (except that from oil-changing businesses);
- Used motor oil filters (limited to two 55-gallon barrels per participant; none from oil-changing businesses);
- Auto batteries;
- Agricultural pesticide wastes; and
- Household hazardous wastes, such as paints, thinners, antifreeze, aerosol cans, mercury thermometers, photographic chemicals, herbicides and cleaners.
Dates and locations of the cleanups are:
- April 26 at Wall Co-op, 9194 Loop 570 in Wall. For more information contact Steve Sturtz, Texas Cooperative Extension agent for agriculture in Tom Green County, (325) 659-6524. – April 28 at Fayette County Fairgrounds, 450 W. Fairgrounds Road in LaGrange. Contact Larry Nickel, Extension agent in Fayette County, (979) 968-5831.
- May 1 at Helena Chemical Company, 4642 Highway 90 East in Uvalde. Contact Kenneth White, Extension agent in Uvalde County, (830) 278-6661.
- May 3 at Atascosa County Livestock Showgrounds, 2209 W. Oaklawn St. in Jourdanton. Contact Joe Taylor, Extension agent in Atascosa County, (830) 769-3066.
- May 5 at Smith Gin, 6057 County Road 2015 in Odem. Contact Jeff Stapper, Extension agent in San Patricio County, (361) 364-6234.
Sponsors of the cleanups are Extension and the Small Business and Environmental Assistance Division of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
For more information about these cleanup events, visit the Web at http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assistance/AgWaste/agwaste.html or call Ingrid Dierlam McDonald at (512) 239-4749 or an Extension agent.