PAMPA – A Wheat Planning Conference will be offered from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 8 at the Gray County Annex, 12125 E. Frederic Ave. in Pampa.
The event is being planned by the Texas AgriLife Extension Service offices in Gray, Carson, Roberts and Armstrong counties, said Brandon McGinty, AgriLife Extension agriculture and natural resources agent in Gray County.
“Producers face new challenges this year with little soil moisture,” McGinty said. “This is an opportunity for producers to look at new wheat varieties and management decisions to help make better decisions for this upcoming wheat crop.”
Private pesticide applicators will be offered three Texas Department of Agriculture continuing education units – one integrated pest management and two general, he said.
Topics and presenters will be:
- Wheat Composting, Doak Elledge, Gray County producer.
- Wheat Disease Updates, Dr. Ron French, AgriLife Extension plant pathologist, Amarillo.
- Wheat Fertility Issues-Irrigated, Rick Kochenower, Oklahoma State University Extension agronomist, Goodwell, Okla.
- Market Updates and Insurance Issues, DeDe Jones, AgriLife Extension, Amarillo.
- Wheat Variety Trials Results, McGinty.
- Wheat Insect Issues, Dr. Ed Bynum, AgriLife Extension entomologist, Amarillo.
There will be a $10 fee for this conference, to be paid at the door, and a noon meal will be provided, McGinty said. Individuals should RSVP by Aug. 6 to their local AgriLife Extension office in Carson, Gray, Roberts or Armstrong counties, or call 806-669-8033.