ANDREWS – The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service offices in Andrews and Ector counties are offering a 10-part “Country Living in the Permian Basin” educational series specifically geared toward the small-acreage landholder.
The meetings will be held from 6:30-8:30 p.m. monthly with the meeting locations alternating between the AgriLife Extension offices in Andrews and Ector counties.
The first meeting, “Developing a Plan for Your Small Acreage,” is set for Dec. 13 in the AgriLife Extension office in Andrews, 851 E. Broadway St.
“Dr. Jason Johnson, AgriLife Extension economist in Stephenville, will be the main speaker at the meeting,” said Josh Blanek, AgriLife Extension agent in Andrews County. “He’s been asked to talk about how to make a business plan and to address farm income tax management and property tax valuations. I’ll talk briefly at the start of the meeting about AgriLife Extension and what our agency has to offer and then end the evening with an introduction to other agencies and how they can assist landowners.”
Blanek said the classes have been alternated between Andrews and Odessa to accommodate both Andrews and Ector County residents.
Dates and topics for the meetings scheduled for the coming months are:
– Jan. 24, Managing Native Forages and Brush and Weed Control, Odessa.
– Feb. 28, Livestock Options for Small Acreage Landowners, Andrews.
– March 28, Risk Management and Liabilities: What All Landowners Should Know, Odessa.
– April 18, Recreational Pond Management in West Texas, Andrews.
– May 16, Soils, Nutrient Management and Forage Establishment on Small Acreage, Odessa.
– June 4, Horse Production and Management Practices, Odessa.
– July 18, Rainwater Harvesting and Water Conservation Practices, Andrews.
– Aug. 29, Vegetable Production and Marketing on Small Acreage Sites, Andrews.
– Sept.19, Wildlife and Small Acreage: Wildlife Habitat Enhancement Practices, Odessa.
Individual registration is $25 per session or $205 if registered in advance for all 10 sessions.
For more information and to register, call the AgriLife Extension offices in Andrews County at 432-524-1421 or Ector County at 432-498-4071.