Writer: Steve Byrns, 325-653-4576, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: James Jackson, 325-453-2461, JamesR.Jackson@ag.tamu.edu
SAN ANGELO – The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service will present a Livestock and Rangeland Revitalization Program from 1:30-4:30 p.m. May 28 at the Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension Center at San Angelo, 7887 U.S. Highway 87 North.
“We’re a long way from optimal range conditions. In fact, most of West Texas is not even close and de-stocking continues, but it’s not too early to optimistically plan for the future,” said James Jackson, AgriLife Extension agent in Coke County.
Jackson will be joined by AgriLife Extension agents in Runnels, Sterling, Concho and Tom Green counties, in conducting the multi-county effort.
“This program is designed to assist participants with decisions on how to evaluate their rangeland resources now and to offer some possible livestock restocking options for our region once it does start raining,” Jackson said.
The program’s speakers and their topics will include:
– The Future of Texas Agriculture, Dr. Rick Machen, AgriLife Extension livestock specialist, Uvalde.
– Rangeland Health and Stocking Rate Considerations, Dr. Bob Lyons, AgriLife Extension range specialist, Uvalde.
– New Technologies in Weed and Brush Control, Dr. Allan McGinty, AgriLife Extension range specialist, emeritus, San Angelo.
– Economic Feasibility of Livestock – A Comparison of Cattle, Sheep and Goats, Bill Thompson, AgriLife Extension economist, San Angelo.
– Livestock Health Considerations when Restocking, Dr. Frank Craddock, AgriLife Extension state sheep and goat specialist, San Angelo.
Three Texas Department of Agriculture continuing education units will be offered to Texas pesticide applicator license holders.
Individual registration payable at the door is $10.
To register or for more information, contact the AgriLife Extension offices in any of the cooperating counties: Runnels, 325-365-2219; Sterling, 325-378-3181, Coke, 325-453-2461, Concho, 325-732-4304 or Tom Green, 325-659-6522.