Writer: Steve Byrns, 325-653-4576, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: J.W. Wagner, 806-456-2263, email@example.com
PLAINS – The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service has set a comprehensive educational program for agricultural producers on the South Plains.
The free program is set from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. in the Plains Community Building, 1006 Ave. G in Plains.
Five Texas Department of Agriculture continuing education units, 3.5 integrated pest management, one laws and regulations, 0.5 general, will be offered to holders of private pesticide applicator licenses.
“This program offers everything from talks on cotton, peanut and small grain production to sun safety awareness,” said J.W. Wagner, AgriLife Extension agent in Yoakum County. “I think our Yoakum County Agriculture Committee, who will serve as hosts for the event, has done a great job in putting this program together. The agenda really hits the mark in terms of what folks are talking about in our area.”
Morning topics and speakers will include:
– Weed Control and Weed Resistance Management, Dr. Peter Dotray, AgriLife Extension weed science and herbicide specialist, Lubbock.
– Peanut Production and Cotton Disease Issues, Dr. Jason Woodward, AgriLife Extension state peanut specialist, Lubbock.
– Cotton Market Update, Market Outlook and Farm Bill, Dr. Jackie Smith, AgriLife Extension economist, Lubbock.
– Wheat Management and Sunflower/Grain Sorghum Management, Dr. Calvin Trostle, AgriLife Extension agronomist, Lubbock.
The lunch break features a complimentary meal courtesy of Capital Farm Credit and displays of the 2013 Yoakum County cotton-irrigated, dryland and Fusarium wilt trials.
The afternoon program topics and speakers will include:
– Cotton Defoliation, Kerry Siders, AgriLife Extension integrated pest management agent for Hockley County.
– Overview of 2013 On-Farm Pre-Emergence Herbicide Trials, Rand Merchant, Texas Tech University graduate student.
– Update from U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency, Gary Six, Yoakum County executive director.
– Sandy Land Underground Water Conservation District Update, Gary Walker, manager, Plains.
– Sun Safety and Awareness, Becky Wilmeth, AgriLife Extension agent for family and consumer sciences in Yoakum County.
– Agricultural Pesticides Laws and Regulations, Debbie Slocum, Texas Department of Agriculture, Lubbock.
For more information contact Wagner at 806-456-2263, firstname.lastname@example.org .