CANYON – The 37th annual Randall County Ag Show and Crops Tour is scheduled for Sept. 24 in Canyon, according to Dr. J.D. Ragland, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service agriculture and natural resource agent, Randall County.
Registration, coffee and donuts will begin at 8:30 a.m., sponsored by Panhandle-Plains Land Bank of Amarillo. The morning portion will be in the Dillehay Education Room of the Kuhlman Extension Center, AgriLife Extension’s office for Randall County at 200 N. Brown Road.
The program is free with the sponsorship of Happy State Bank. The morning program, starting at 9 a.m. includes:
– Farm Bill: What We Know and What We Don’t Know, Dr. Steve Amosson, AgriLife Extension economist, Amarillo.
– AgriLife Farm Assist Program and Estate Planning Update, DeDe Jones, AgriLife Extension risk management specialist, Amarillo.
– Farm Insurance Program and Requirements, Rachel Myers, Great Plains Ag Credit, Claude.
– Water Laws/Regulations and Its Impact on Ag Producers, Lynn Tate, High Plains Underground Water District Board, Amarillo.
– Managing Native Pastures after Recent Rains, Dr. Ted McCollum, AgriLife Extension beef cattle specialist, Amarillo.
– Weed Control in Native Pastures, Jody Stockett, Dow representative.
The noon luncheon will include an awards program and the presentation, Water Issues and Update from Water District, by Tate.
The afternoon tour, on buses sponsored by the Palo Duro Soil and Water Conservation District of Canyon, will depart from the AgriLife Extension office and include three stops.
The tour stops include:
– Sorghum Varieties/Plant Population Utilizing Various Planting Methods, Stan Friemel Farm.
– Cotton Varieties and Bayer CAP Trail, Randy and Ryan Wieck Farm.
– Amarillo Antique Tractor Association – Antique Plowing Demonstration, Harold Artho Farm.
Three Texas Department of Agriculture continuing education units – 0.5 in drift minimization and 2.5 general – will be available to private applicators attending the event.
For those planning to attend, an RSVP is required. Call the AgriLife Extension office in Randall County on or before Sept. 17 at 806-468-5543.