LA GRANGE — A workshop for child care providers will be held Feb. 15 at the Randolph Recreation Center, 653 E. Pearl St., in La Grange, according to Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service personnel.
The seven hour multi-county training session is sponsored by the AgriLife Extension offices in Austin, Colorado, Fayette and Washington counties.
A registration fee of $35 covers refreshments, lunch, an information packet, handouts and curriculum materials. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m.; the program begins at 8 a.m. and ends at 3:00 p.m.
“Child care providers are trusted with caring for the most precious of any community’s resources, its children,” said Michelle Allen, an AgriLife Extension family and consumer sciences agent in Austin County. “Through our curriculum enrichment in all sessions of this workshop, we emphasize how child care providers can make their business the best, above all the rest.”
Topics and speakers include:
– Risk management, Stephanie Keller, independent safety trainer and consultant, Angleton.
– Taking a stand against bullying, Kayla Kasper and Mary Sanders, AgriLife Extension agents in Fayette and Washington counties, respectively.
– Dealing with special needs, Kathy Campbell, director of special education, Brenham Independent School District.
– Advanced communications skills, Marie Watts, president, Marie Watts and Associates, a human resources consulting firm, Muldoon.
– Licensing, Bonnie Bollinger, inspector, Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, Austin.
– Creating no-cost active play, AgriLife Extension county agents.
The deadline to register is Feb. 7 and will be limited to 300 providers, Allen said. For an additional $5, continuing education units can be provided through AgriLife Extension. The registration fee is not refundable, but can be transferred to another participant attending this conference only.
Registration forms can be found online at http://austin-tx.tamu.edu. For more information, contact any of the following AgriLife Extension family and consumer sciences agents: Allen, Austin County, 979-865-2072; Janis Pfeffer, Colorado County, 979-732-2530; Sally Garrett, Fayette County, 979-968-5831; or Tanya McGonagill, Washington County, 979-277-6212.