Writer: Steve Byrns, 325-653-4576, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Tommy Yeater, 432-264-2236, email@example.com
BIG SPRING – The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service will conduct the multi-county Permian Basin Cotton Conference from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. March 1 at the G.C. Broughton Jr. Ag Complex in Big Spring.
The complex is located at 2411 Echols Drive on the Howard College campus. Counties involved with the conference and its accompanying trade show include Howard, Martin, Midland, Glasscock, Upton and Reagan.
Individual preregistration is $15 by Feb. 26 and $25 thereafter. The fee includes the noon meal.
To RSVP, contact the AgriLife Extension office in Howard County at 432-264-2236.
Five Texas Department of Agriculture continuing education units will be available, pending approval.
“This annual event rotates throughout our six-county cotton producing area and focuses on information meant to help our producers have a successful cotton crop during the coming season,” said Tommy Yeater, AgriLife Extension agent in Howard County. “And while much of the information is applicable elsewhere, all of it is very topical for our area.”
Topics and presenters during the morning session will include:
– Variety and Seeding Rate Trials, Dr. David Drake, AgriLife Extension agronomist, San Angelo.
– Cotton Integrated Pest Management and Sugarcane Aphid Updates, Dr. Charles Allen, AgriLife Extension state integrated pest management coordinator, San Angelo.
– Cottonseed Oil and Crop Insurance Updates, Shawn Wade, Plains Cotton Growers Inc., director of policy analysis and research, Lubbock.
– Weed Resistance and New Technologies, Dr. Gaylon Morgan, AgriLife Extension state cotton specialist, College Station.
– Cover Crops, Dr. Calvin Trostle, AgriLife Extension agronomist, Lubbock.
– Texas Department of Agriculture Laws and Regulations, Cory Pence, Texas Department of Agriculture inspector, San Angelo.
For more information, contact any of the following AgriLife Extension offices: Howard County, 432-264-2236; Martin County, 432-756-3316; Upton County, 432-693-2313, Glasscock County, 432-354-2381; and Reagan County, 325-884-2335.