Swisher County Ag Day is Dec. 7 in Tulia
Writer: Steve Byrns, 325-653-4576, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: John Villalba, 806-995-3726, email@example.com
TULIA – The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service’s Swisher County Ag Committee will host its annual Swisher County Ag Day beginning at 8 a.m. Dec. 7 in Tulia.
John Villalba, AgriLife Extension agent in Swisher County, said the event will be in the basement of the Swisher Memorial Building, 127 SW 2nd St.
“The daylong event will showcase topics important to farmers and ranchers in the High Plains area,” Villalba said. “A mixture of talks on cotton, corn, water, pest and legal topics will be given at the program. We’ll also award five Texas Department of Agriculture continuing education units to those with a valid pesticide applicators license and seven TDA certified crop advisor CEUs.”
Villalba said the pesticide applicator units will be one laws and regulations, one integrated pest management, one drift minimization and two general. The certified crop advisor credits will be one nutrient management, one soil and water management, one professional development, two integrated pest management and two crop management.
Registration is $10. Lunch will be sponsored by Happy State Bank and door prizes will be given, Villalba said. RSVP by Dec. 4 by calling 806-995-3726. More information is also available at that number.
Topics and speakers will include:
– Texas Alliance for Water Conservation Update, Rick Kellison, Texas Alliance for Water Conservation director, Lockney.
– Growing Beyond: Soil and Health Concepts, Jason Birkenfeld, Soil Mender Ag representative, Tulia.
– Hot Button Ag Law Issues for 2017-2018, Tiffany Dowell-Lashmet, AgriLife Extension agricultural law specialist, Amarillo.
– Bushland Corn Herbicide Trial Results, Dr. Jourdan Bell, AgriLife Extension agronomist, Amarillo.
– Texas Department of Agriculture Laws and Regulations Refresher, Camilo Garzon, Texas Department of Agriculture inspector, Amarillo.
– Commodity Group Updates
– 2017 Swisher County Integrated Update, Blayne Reed, AgriLife Extension integrated pest management agent for Hale, Swisher and Floyd counties.
– Cotton Fertility Trial Report and 2018 Result Demonstrations, Villalba.