CANYON – The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service office in Randall County will host a Beef Cattle Marketing Workshop Jan. 8-9 in the Kuhlman Extension Center, 200 N. Brown Road in Canyon.
The program will be from 3-7 p.m. both days. A one-time $10 registration fee will be charged at the door the first day, and a light dinner will be served each evening of the workshop.
Registration is required by 5 p.m. Jan. 4. To register or for more information, call the AgriLife Extension office in Randall County at 806-468-5543.
“We are excited to bring experts to the Texas Panhandle and share with our producers some key strategies needed to develop a cattle marketing plan that fits their own individual operation,” said Dr. J. D. Ragland, AgriLife Extension agriculture and natural resources agent in Randall County.
The program will include representatives from Commodity and Ingredient Hedging LLC from Chicago. This group will present and share a complete cattle marketing plan for stocker cattle as well as cow/calf producers, Ragland said.
The first day’s program is titled “Use the Right Strategies for Your Operation” and will address how to:
– Quantify and manage exposure across all positions.
– Establish protection that matches profitability, risk tolerance and market bias.
– Adjust positions to capture margin gains as prices change over time.
The second day will be titled “Gain an Information Advantage” and address how to:
– Anticipate the potential impacts of various positions before making a decision.
– Identify historical and seasonal price trends.
– Calibrate the sensitivity of a position to a change in price.
– Determine margin call exposure.
A total of six general Texas Department of Agriculture continuing education units, three each day, will be offered to all private applicators.