AMARILLO – The 2019 schedule for Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service’s popular Ranchers Leasing Workshop programs has been released, according to its presenters.
“We focus on legal issues related to grazing, hunting and livestock leases, including why leases should be in writing, how to determine the payment structure and rate, and key terms to include,” said Tiffany Dowell Lashmet, AgriLife Extension agricultural law specialist, Amarillo.
“Most importantly, in these workshops, we work hard to be really practical, discuss real-world situations, and give advice you can take home and use that day,” Lashmet said.
Dr. Greg Kaase, AgriLife Extension agricultural economist, College Station, joins Lashmet to present the programs, which have already been attended by more than 850 Texans over the past three years.
In addition to the discussion about leases, the programs also spend a portion of the time covering the important topic of landowner liability.
“Understanding the law regarding when a landowner or tenant may be liable if someone is injured on the property is so important for landowners,” Lashmet said. “There are a number of steps landowners can and should be doing proactively to be prepared if an injury does occur.”
At each half-day program, attendees will receive a copy of the Ranchers Agricultural Leasing Handbook, as well as a follow-up email with any other resources mentioned during the day.
The cost is $50 per person or $80 per couple. Lunch is provided at each event by AgWorkers Insurance. To register for an event, go to https://agriliferegister.tamu.edu/Ranchers.
The workshop will be hosted on the following dates and locations:
- April 9 – 9 a.m.-1 p.m. – Nacogdoches Expo Center, 3805 N.W. Stallings Drive, Nacogdoches.
- April 24 – noon-4:30 p.m. – AgriLife Extension Burnet County office, 607 N. Vandeveer St., No. 100, Burnet.
- May 22 – 9 a.m.-1 p.m. – Ochiltree County Expo Center, 402 Expo Drive, Perryton.
- Aug. 28 – 9 a.m.-1 p.m. – Victoria County 4-H Activity Center, 259 Bachelor Drive, Victoria.
- Sept. 13 – noon-4:30 p.m. – AgriLife Extension Tarrant County office, 200 Taylor St., No. 500, Fort Worth.
- Oct. 11 – noon-4:30 p.m. – Thomas G. Hildebrand Equine Complex, 3240 F&B Road, College Station.