Writer: Susan Himes, 325-657-7315, Susan.Himes@ag.tamu.edu
Contact: Allison Watkins, 325-659-6528, email@example.com
SAN ANGELO — The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service and Concho Valley Master Gardeners have announced their Fall Landscaping Symposium date, topics and speakers.
The eighth annual event will be held Sept. 7 at the Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension Center, 7887 N. U.S. Highway 87 in San Angelo. The program will run from 8:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m, with day-of registration at 8 a.m. Sept. 4 is the deadline to preregister.
The cost is $30, and participants may pay by credit card at https://squareup.com/store/cvmg or by calling 325-659-6522. Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
“This event typically attracts over 100 participants,” said Allison Watkins, AgriLife Extension agent for horticulture, Tom Green County. “Whether they have a small backyard garden or own acres of ranchland, participants will leave this symposium with valuable information they can implement to improve their own piece of Texas.
“In West Texas, fall is an important time of year for landscaping and gardening – even more so than spring. We are excited about this event because it’s a great opportunity to hear from top speakers across the state, and we hope to inspire and encourage homeowners with education on a variety of topics.”
Presentations and speakers include:
- Adding Water as a Design Element to Your Garden – Anita Nelson, owner, Nelson Water Gardens, Katy.
- Starting from the Ground Up: Earth-Kind Soil Management for the Concho Valley – John Begnaud, former AgriLife Extension horticulturist, Tom Green County.
- Native Host Plants for Texas Butterflies and Moths – Jim and Lynne Weber, Texas Master Naturalists, San Angelo.
- From the Backyard to the Back Forty: Managing Landscapes or Ranchland to Benefit Native Birds – Rufus Stephens, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, wildlife biologist, Kerrville.
- The Healthy Lawns Checklist: A Simple Guide to Managing a “Happy” and Sustainable Texas Lawn – Dr. Becky Grubbs-Bowling, AgriLife Extension turfgrass specialist, College Station.
Visit https://txmg.org/conchovalley/ or call 325-659-6522 for additional information.