National 4-H and FFA wool judging contests among show’s premier events
Writer: Susan Himes, 325-657-7315, Susan.Himes@ag.tamu.edu
Contact: Pascual Hernandez, 325-387-3101, Pascual.Hernandez@ag.tamu.edu
SONORA — The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service office of Sutton County hosted the 82nd annual Wool and Mohair Show, the 59th National 4-H Wool Judging Contest and the 19th National Future Farmers of America Wool Judging Contest June 18-20 in Sonora.
The event had 67 participants entered from nine counties. The national wool judging contest featured teams from California, Wyoming and Texas in the 4-H competition, while only Texas teams competed in the FFA contest.
The national 4-H and FFA wool judging contests are the premier events of the Sonora Wool and Mohair Show, said Pascual Hernandez, AgriLife Extension agent, Sutton County. The show offers a variety of youth judging contests and wool and mohair fleece competitions.
The event is sponsored by the Sonora Lions Club and the Sonora Chamber of Commerce in cooperation with the Sonora Wool and Mohair Company and AgriLife Extension. The Sutton Ag Fund and Motel 6 Sonora provided premiums for the wool and mohair fleece reserve champions and grand champions.
“We think it’s important for youth to be exposed to appropriate livestock production practices applicable to our area of the Edwards Plateau,” Hernandez said. “Rangeland management skills and proper preparation of wool and mohair fleeces are among these. Our activities aim to hone these and other skills through these contests.”
Results of the 82nd Wool and Mohair Show included:
- Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion wool fleece, Premier Wool Exhibitor Award: Ragan Levien, Kimble County 4-H.
- Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion mohair fleece, Premier Mohair Exhibitor Award: Shelby Mejia, Kerr County 4-H.
Results of the 59th National 4-H Wool Judging Contest included:
- Champion Team: Connor Pence, Kelly Salisbury and Kimberly Salisbury; Mike Salisbury, coach; Tom Green County 4-H, with 1,761points.
- Reserve Champion Team: Audrey Abatti, Sarah Grizzle, Cartee Hannah and Kennedy Pechtl; Shanna Abbati, coach; Imperial County 4-H, California, with 1,654 points.
- Third Place Team: Nicholas Gutierrez, Paige Romsa, Afton Stewart and Nichole Worthing; Ed Selby, coach; Natrona County 4-H, Wyoming, with 1,576 points.
Results of the 19th National FFA Wool Judging Contest included:
- Champion Team: Gunner Coburn, Hudson Cox, Gage Hogan and Tate Hogan; Drew Turner, coach; Sterling City FFA, with 1,796 points.
- Reserve Champion Team: Rachael Betzen, Jack Detten, Rachael Detten and Matli Mimms; Jessica Detten and Rebecca Noggler, coaches; Hereford FFA, with 1,793 points.
A complete list of contests, winners and key pictures are available at: https://sutton.agrilife.org/.